- From scarcity to bounty: how Galateas can turn your scarce short queries into gold
- LREC 2012 Workshop on Creating Cross-language Resources for Disconnected Languages and Styles
- Book/source title
- Workshop abstracts: eighth international conference on language resources and evaluation, LREC 2012 satellite workshops, May 21-22 & May 26-27, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey. Workshop on Creating Cross-language Resources for Disconnected Languages and Styles: workshop programme
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
With the growth of digital libraries and the digital library federation in addition to partially unstructured collections of documents such as web sites, a large set of vendors are offering engines for retrieving content and metadata via search requests by the end user (queries). In most cases these queries are short unstructured fragments of text in different languages that are difficult to make sense of because of the lack of context. When attempting to perform automatic translation of these queries, using machine learning approaches, the problem becomes worse as aligned corpora are almost inexistent for such types of linguistic data. The GALATEAS European project concentrates on analyzing language-based information from transaction logs and facilitates the development of improved navigation and search technologies for multilingual content access, in order to offer digital content providers an innovative approach to understanding users' behaviour.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.