- Silver Gaming: Serious Fun for Seniors?
- Book title
- Human Aspects of IT for the Aged Population. Healthy and Active Aging: Second International Conference, ITAP 2016, held as part of HCI International 2016, Toronto, ON, Canada, July 17–22, 2016: proceedings. - Part II
- Pages (from-to)
- Number of pages
- Cham: Springer
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
This exploratory qualitative study provides insight into the role that exergames play for seniors. 15 participants (aged 53-78) engaged in playing Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2 on the Xbox 360 Kinect, after which we conducted a semi-structured interview with each participant. We found that in all cases, the innate psychological needs of autonomy and competence (Self Determination Theory) were met. Playing the exergame served not only as a therapeutic instrument with a capability to exert a positive effect on physical and social wellbeing, it also brought entertainment, providing excitement and fun.
- go to publisher's site
- Gebeurtenis: Human Aspects of IT for the Aged Population. Healthy and Active Aging: Second International Conference, ITAP 2016, held as part of HCI International 2016, Toronto, ON, Canada, July 17–22, 2016
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.