- Aesthetics and the Dream of Objectivity: Notes from Set Theory
- Inquiry : an Interdisciplinary Journal of Philosophy
- Volume | Issue number
- 58 | 1
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
- In this paper, we consider various ways in which aesthetic value bears on, if not serves as evidence for, the truth of independent
statements in set theory.
... the aesthetic issue, which in practice will also for me be the decisive factor—John von Neumann, letter to Carnap, 1931
For me, it is the aesthetics which may very well be the final arbiter—P. J. Cohen, 2002
- go to publisher's site
- In special issue: Mathematical Evidence
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.