- Creating disagreement by self-abasement: Apologizing as a means of confrontational strategic maneuvering
- 8th Conference on Argumentation of the International Society for the Study of Argumentation: ISSA 2014
- Book/source title
- International Society for the Study of Argumentation: 8th International Conference on Argumentation: July 1-July 4, 2014, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Pages (from-to)
- Amsterdam: Sic Sat
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School of Historical Studies (ASH)
- The analysis of the different stages in a preface to a stage play (1617) by Gerbrand Bredero makes
clear that antitheses, exaggerated modesty and self-humiliation may be used as strategic tools in the
confrontation stage. The disagreement between protagonist and the primary audience has been created in the confrontation stage by polarizing the parties' attitude towards each other.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.