- Een nieuwe syntaxis voor een dode taal?
- Volume | Issue number
- 48 | 2
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC)
Why a new syntax for a dead language? And why, when we already have an excellent syntax like Kühner and Stegmann? There are at least six reasons for producing a new syntax in English for professional latinists and for linguists in general:
(1) There are new data and the perspective on certain old data has changed.
(2) There are new instruments (new text editions, for example).
(3) The users are not the same as in Kühner and Stegmann’s time.
(4) There is one century of valuable linguistic research in-between.
(5) there are new theories and new methodologies.
(6) Our ideas of what a syntax should look like have changed. The significance of these factors is illustrated for a few topics (coordination, secondary predicates, valency); passages for analysis have been taken primarily from Virgil Aneid 12, but also from other texts.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.