- High resolution spectroscopy of Red Giant Branch stars and the chemical evolution of the Fornax dwarf spheroidal galaxy
- Semaine de l'Astrophysique: du 3 au 6 juin 2014: Paris Université Diderot
- Book/source title
- SF2A-2014: Proceedings of the Annual meeting of the French Society of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Pages (from-to)
- Société Francaise d’Astronomie et d’Astrophysique
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API)
From VLT-FLAMES high-resolution spectra, we determine the abundances of several α, iron-peak and neutron-capture elements in 47 Red Giant Branch stars in the Fornax dwarf speroidal galaxy. We confirm that SNe Ia started to contribute to the chemical enrichment of Fornax at [Fe/H] between -2.0 and - 1.8 dex. Combining these abundances with accurate age estimates, we date the onset of SNe Ia to ≈ 12-10 Gyrs ago. Our results are compatible with an initial mass function that lacks the most massive stars and with a star formation going on throughout the whole history of Fornax.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.