- Semantic Search in E-Discovery: An Interdisciplinary Approach
- ICAIL 2013 Workshop on Standards for Using Predictive Coding, Machine Learning, and Other Advanced Search and Review Methods in E-Discovery (DESI V Workshop)
- Book/source title
- ICAIL 2013 Workshop on Standards for Using Predictive Coding, Machine Learning, and Other Advanced Search and Review Methods in E-Discovery (DESI V Workshop): June 14, 2013, Casa dell'Aviatore, viale dell'Universita 20, Rome, Italy. Papers
- College Park, MD: University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
We propose an interdisciplinary approach to applying and evaluating semantic search in the e-discovery setting. By combining expertise from the fields of law and criminology with that of information retrieval and extraction, we move beyond "algorithm-centric" evaluation, towards evaluating the impact of semantic search in real search settings. We will approach this by collaboration in an interdisciplinary group of four PhD candidates, applying an iterative two-phase work cycle to four subprojects that run in parallel. The first phase we work individually. We determine the use and needs of search in e-discovery (subproject 1), and simultaneously explore and
develop state-of-the-art semantic search approaches (subprojects 2-4). In the second phase we collaborate, designing user experiments to evaluate how and where semantic search can support the analysts’ search process. By repeating this cycle multiple times we gain specific and in-depth knowledge and propose solutions to specific challenges in search in e-discovery.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.