B. van den Berg
- Extending obstruction to noncommutative functorial spectra
- Theory and Applications of Categories
- Article number
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
Any functor from the category of C*-algebras to the category of locales that assigns to each commutative C*-algebra its Gelfand spectrum must be trivial on algebras of n-by-n matrices for n ≥ 3. This obstruction also applies to other spectra such as those named after Zariski, Stone, and Pierce. We extend these no-go results to functors with values in (ringed) topological spaces, (ringed) toposes, schemes, and quantales. The possibility of spectra in other categories is discussed.
- Final publisher version
- © Benno van den Berg and Chris Heunen, 2014. Permission to copy for private use granted.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.