- Magnetic optical scatterers and backaction
- Award date
- 10 September 2014
- Number of pages
- Document type
- PhD thesis
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Van der Waals-Zeeman Institute (WZI)
Within the scope of the thesis we address the following questions:
1. What should the LDOS for a dipole with an electric-dipole allowed transition actually be if one would have a hypothetical magnetic mirror or magnetic and electric metasurface?
2. Up to what point are effective ε and μ derived from far-field normal-incidence data actually good descriptors for a metamaterial, as one brings a probe from the far field into the near field to measure LDOS?
3. Can we strengthen or refute the claim that a single split ring is a magnetic dipole scatterer by probing if its radiation damping actually traces out magnetic LDOS?
4. How do single building-block magnetism on one hand, and packing of objects in 2D periodic arrays on the other hand that must have collective Bloch modes conspire to give magnetic signatures in LDOS, and in far-field observables?
- Research conducted at: Universiteit van Amsterdam
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.