M.P. van Exter
N.J. van Druten
A.M. van der Lee
- Semiclassical dynamics of excess quantum noise
- Physical Review A
- Volume | Issue number
- 63 | 4
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Van der Waals-Zeeman Institute (WZI)
- A semiclassical theoretical framework is presented to describe the essential features of the excess quantum noise that occurs in systems with nonorthogonal eigenmodes. Excess noise is shown to be always spectrally colored, instead of white, so that the Petermann excess noise factor is best written as K() instead of K. The consequences of this spectral coloring are analyzed for lasers, both below and above the lasing threshold.
- (c)2001 American Physical Society
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.