A.M. van der Lee
M.P. van Exter
N.J. van Druten
- Excess quantum noise is colored
- Physical Review Letters
- Volume | Issue number
- 81 | 23
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Van der Waals-Zeeman Institute (WZI)
- Whereas quantum noise in a laser is essentially white, we show that excess quantum noise is colored. The coloring is determined by both the geometry (nonorthogonality) and the dynamics (eigenvalues) of the eigenmodes of the laser resonator. Experimentally, we demonstrate these concepts by using nonorthogonal polarization modes. We also show that the induced correlations between the modes can be used to greatly reduce the excess quantum noise.
- go to publisher's site
- (c)2000 American Physical Society
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.