M. de Rijke
- Semantic characterizations of navigational XPath
- Book title
- The First Twente Data Management Workshop TDM'04 on XML databases and information retrieval
- Pages (from-to)
- Enschede: Centre for Telematics and Information Technology (CTIT), University of Twente
- CTIT workshop proceedings series
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
We give semantic characterizations of the expressive powerof navigational XPath (also called Core XPath) in terms offirst order logic. XPath can be used to specify sets of nodesand to specify sets of paths in a document tree. We considerboth uses. For sets of nodes, we show that first orderlogic in two variables is equally expressive as XPath. Forpaths, we show that XPath can be defined using four simpleconnectives, which together yield the class of first orderdefinable relations which are safe for bisimulation. Furthermore,we give a characterization of the XPath expressiblepaths in terms of conjunctive queries.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.