- V poiskakh skhodstv i razlichiǐ mezhdu russkim, pol'skim, cheshkim i serbochorvatskim i︠a︡zykami pri vybore vida v sluchai︠a︡kh ogranichennoǐ kratnosti
- Die Welt der Slaven. Sammelbände
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC)
The article presents some results of a comparative investigation into past tense cases of "bounded repetition" (with adverbials such as 'twice', 'three times', a couple of times' etc.) in four varieties of Slavic (Russian, Polish, Czech and Croatian/Serbian). This investigation is based on over 500 corpus examples with parallel versions for each language. The article shows noticeable differences between the languages with respect to the distribution of the aspects and points out a number of factors influencing aspect choice in these cases. Most prominent among these is the distinction between the two basic modes of use of the past tense - "narrative" vs. "retrospective".
- Proceedings title: Glagol'nyǐ vid: grammaticheskoe znachenie i kontekst = Verbal aspect: grammatical meaning and context
Publisher: Otto Sagner
Place of publication: München - Berlin
Editors: R. Benacchio
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.