- Quasi-Periodic Oscillations in magnetars: linking variability and emission
- Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API)
I present recent results studying flare emission in magnetars. Strong quasi-periodic oscillations observed in the tail of giant magnetar flares are frequently interpreted as evidence for global seismic oscillations. I demonstrate that such a global oscillation is not directly observable in the lightcurve. New work suggests the amplitude for the strongest QPO stays nearly constant in the rotation phases where it is observed, which I argue suggests it is produced by an additional emission process from the star.
- go to publisher's site
- Proceedings title: Neutron stars and pulsars : challenges and opportunities after 80 years : proceedings of the 291st Symposium
of the International Astronomical Union, held in Beijing, China, 20-24 August 2012
Publisher: Cambridge University Pres
Place of publication: Cambridge
Editors: J. van Leeuwen
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.