L. Dalla Pellegrina
- Posted Workers: Complements or Substitutes for Local Employment? Empirical Evidence from the EU
- Number of pages
- Milano: Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi, Paolo Baffi Centre on Central Banking and Financial Regulation
- "Paolo Baffi" Centre Research Paper Series
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Working paper
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB)
- Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics (ACLE)
Amsterdam School of Economics Research Institute (ASE-RI)
This paper investigates the effects of the intra-European posting of workers on domestic labour markets in the years 2007-2009. Instrumental variables related to migrant labour and neighbouring countries’ populations are used to address the endogeneity between posting and labour market features. Contrary to conventional wisdom, we find that an intensification of posting inflows is not likely to displace domestic workers. Instead, an increase in posting from abroad may rise both domestic labour costs and productivity. Results point toward the complementarity between domestic and posted workers, so that posting can actually improve labour efficiency and put upward pressure on labour costs.
- Also appeared as: Amsterdam Law School Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2013-34, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics Working Paper No. 2013-08
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.