- On an identity by Chaundy and Bullard. II. More history
- Indagationes Mathematicae
- Volume | Issue number
- 24 | 1
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics (KdVI)
- An identity by Chaundy and Bullard writes 1/(1−x)n1/(1−x)n (n=1,2,…n=1,2,…) as a sum of two truncated binomial series. In
a paper which appeared in 2008 in Indag. Math. the authors surveyed many aspects of this identity. In the present paper we
discuss much earlier occurrences of this identity in works by Hering (1868), de Moivre (1738) and de Montmort (1713). A relationship
with Krawtchouk polynomials in work by Greville (1966) is also discussed.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.