- Elvis is Returning to the Building: Evidence for a Decline in Illegal File Sharing
- World Social Science Forum 2013
- Book/source title
- World Social Science Forum 2013: social transformations and the digital age: Montréal, Canada, 13 to 15 October 2013
- International Social Science Council
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Law (FdR)
- Institute for Information Law (IViR)
A set of representative consumer surveys show that in the Netherlands unauthorised file sharing of music has declined substantially between 2008 and 2012. It decreased slightly for games, but increased for films & TV-series. Overall, file sharing dropped from 38% to 27% of the population. The empirical evidence presented supports the hypothesis that adequate legal music offerings helped to reduce file sharing, while a lack of good digital audio-visual services turned consumers to illegal alternatives.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.