- Dreams of 'Abbasid Caliphs: Suspense and Tragedy in al-Tabarī’s History of Prophets and Kings
- Volume | Issue number
- 38 | 1-2
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research (AIHR)
- On the basis of an analysis of three dreams by al-Mahdī, al-Rashīd and al-Amīn it is argued that the dreams in the Taʾrīkh
al-rusul wa-l-mulūk are used to add suspense and tragedy to al-Tạ barī’s
presentation of events.
- go to publisher's site
- Proceedings title: ‘Abbasid Studies III: occasional papers of the Meetings at St. Andrews, 26-29 June, 2006 and Cambridge,
7-9 July, 2008
Place of publication: Leiden
Editors: J.E. Montgomery
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.