- Explaining the effects of targeted online advertising on children's cognitive, affective, and behavioral brand responses
- Conference papers: International Communication Association: annual meeting
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
Increasingly, information from children's profile pages on social network sites is used to target online advertising. This practice has raised concerns in society and academia, however, effects of profile targeting on children remained unstudied. Therefore, this study focused on children's cognitive, affective and, behavioral responses to brands in targeted online advertising. In addition, this study tested three explanatory mechanisms. An experiment (N = 231 children between 8-13 years old) showed that profile targeted online ads resulted in more positive brand attitudes and increased purchase intention. There were no effects on brand memory. The effects are mediated by an affective mechanism that works via attitude toward the ad. This study shows that children did not perceive the ads to be targeted or personally relevant, implying that children do not process targeted online advertising in an critical manner. Rather they show less elaborate processing, which makes children vulnerable to persuasion by profile targeted advertising.
- Proceedings title: Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Hilton Metropole
Hotel, London, England, Jun 17, 2013
Publisher: International Communication Association
Place of publication: Washington, DC
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.