- "This program contains advertising": How the timing of sponsorship disclosure influences critical processing of sponsored content
- Conference papers: International Communication Association: annual meeting
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
This study investigates whether the timing of sponsorship disclosure influences the processing of sponsored content. A model is proposed in which sponsorship disclosure activates persuasion knowledge, which leads to critical processing of the sponsored content, and ultimately negatively affects the attitude toward the brand in the sponsored content. This model was supported, but only when the disclosure was displayed prior to or concurrent with the sponsored content. These findings emphasize the importance of disclosure timing. A disclosure displayed prior to or concurrent with the sponsored content primes the sponsored content and provides sufficient processing time to viewers to recognize the content as advertising and process it critically. Furthermore, the findings show that persuasion knowledge and critical processing underlie the effect of sponsorship disclosure on brand attitude. Regarding practical implications, this research demonstrates that disclosure can make viewers aware of sponsored program content, and can ultimately lead to resistance against persuasion.
- Proceedings title: Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Hilton Metropole
Hotel, London, England, Jun 17, 2013
Publisher: International Communication Association
Place of publication: Washington, DC
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.