- Sociosexual orientation and multitasking influence the effect of sexual media content on involvement with a sexual character
- Conference papers: International Communication Association: annual meeting
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
The aim of the present study was to investigate whether responses to sexual media depend on personal and situational factors. Specifically, we studied the role of sociosexual orientation (i.e., personal factor) and multitasking (i.e., situational factor) in the effects of sexual media content on involvement with the character, a concept that has received increasing attention as an explanation of the emergence of sexual media effects. Sociosexually restricted and unrestricted female participants watched a neutral or erotic scene. Half of the participants in the neutral and sex condition had to multitask (a tone detection task) during viewing the scene. In the sex condition, sociosexually unrestricted participants were more involved with the main character than sociosexually restricted participants. Multitasking resulted in opposite patterns of involvement with the sexual character; unrestricted participants became less involved, whereas restricted participants became less uninvolved with the sexual character.
- Proceedings title: Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Sheraton Phoenix
Downtown, Phoenix, AZ, May 24, 2012
Publisher: International Communication Association
Place of publication: Washington, DC
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.