- The role of the judge in legal proceedings: a pragma-dialectical analysis
- Journal of Argumentation in Context
- Volume | Issue number
- 1 | 2
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
- In this contribution I characterize the role of the judge in the context of the argumentative activity of legal proceeding.
I describe the role of the judge from a pragma-dialectical perspective and explain in which way this role promotes a rational
resolution of the dispute. I specify how a critical discussion in accordance with the ideal model is implemented in legal
procedure to accomplish the institutional point, a resolution of the dispute in accordance with the Rule of Law.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.