C. van Ewijk
- Private pensions for Europe
- VOX : Research-based Policy Analysis and Commentary from leading Economists
- Document type
- Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB)
- Amsterdam School of Economics Research Institute (ASE-RI)
- There is a large variety of pension systems across EU members. This column argues for more private retirement saving as it
is necessary to maintain old-age incomes and as it may also contribute to the stability of markets for government debt. But,
it adds, governments should retain important responsibilities to prevent moral hazard due to intragenerational redistribution,
to facilitate risk-sharing, and to minimise the agency issues due to financial illiteracy.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.