- The strategic function of variants of pragmatic argumentation in health brochures
- Journal of Argumentation in Context
- Volume | Issue number
- 1 | 1
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
- In this paper, I examine the strategic function of four variants of pragmatic argumentation in the context of advisory health
brochures. I argue that each variant functions as a strategic manoeuvre that deals with potential countermoves: with variant
I and II writers can address anticipated doubt with respect to the standpoint and with variants III and IV they can strategically
erase potential criticism of or possible alternatives to the proposed action.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.