- "Canary in a coal mine" : monitoring air quality and detecting environmental incidents by harvesting Twitter
- SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’11)
- Book/source title
- CHI 2011 : conference proceedings and extended abstracts
- Book/source subtitle
- the 29th annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems : Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 07-12, 2011
- Pages (from-to)
- New York: ACM Press
- ISBN (electronic)
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
- We present an application that facilitates environmental monitoring by and for the general public. 'Canary in a Coal Mine'
(CIACM) gathers and analyses pollution-related tweets in real-time from the micro-blogging platform Twitter and visualizes
temporal and spatial characteristics of the data. CIACM allows citizens to keep track of the environmental quality of their
region and empowers users to contribute to this public environmental monitoring system.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.