- Showing/Telling: The Social and Medial Context of a Malleable Notion
- Word & Image Interactions
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
The twin notions of 'showing’ and ‘telling,’ which were first theorized in literary theory at the turn of the 20th century, continue to be applied in literature and audiovisual media. This contribution explores, firstly, the very diverse ways the concepts have been conceived of, mainly by relating them to other comparable (twin) notions. Secondly, it contextualizes the notions by suggesting that they were used to answer questions about the role and efficacy of art in relation to socio-political and medial developments at the time the debate originated and which are still relevant today.
- Proceedings title: Efficacité/Efficacy: how to do things with words and images?
Place of publication: Amsterdam
Editors: V. Plesch, C. MacLeod, J. Baetens