T. van der Meer
M. te Grotenhuis
- Modes of citizens' participation: associations between and determinants of social, civic, and political participation in cross-national perspective
- Book title
- Komparative empirische Sozialforschung
- Pages (from-to)
- Wiesbaden: VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR)
Citizens participate in various spheres of society. In this chapter we focus on social, civic, and political participation. Social participation takes place in the informal sphere and encompasses all social contacts and informal help relations with relatives, friends, and neighbors. Civic participation occurs in associational life, by being a member of, participating actively in, doing voluntary work for, and/or donate money to voluntary associations like sports clubs, trade unions, and human right organizations. Political participation covers all modes of participation that aim to influence the policy process and its outcomes, like campaigning, contacting politicians, and protesting (Verba et al. 1978).
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.