A. Sánchez Jiménez
- Lope de Vega y el Greco: 'Ut pictura poesis' en el Toledo del siglo XVII
- Bulletin of Hispanic Studies
- Volume | Issue number
- 88 | 1
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research (AIHR)
- Lope de Vega boasted of having praised all the poets and painters of his time, and although that is mostly true, Lope never
praised or even mentioned some great painters whom he must necessarily have met. This article studies Lope's relationship
with one of those painters, El Greco, by comparing a sonnet from the Rimas sacras (1614) and a famous painting by El Greco,
using this double analysis to suggest that Lope and El Greco shared some important interests.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.