B. van Kerkhove
- Peer review and knowledge by testimony in mathematics
- Book title
- PhiMSAMP: philosophy of mathematics: sociological aspects and mathematical practice
- Pages (from-to)
- Number of pages
- London: College Publications
- Texts in philosophy
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
- The peer review process has been the topic of many studies in the medical sciences, but not so in mathematics. Given that mathematicians refer to results from the literature without checking the proofs in detail, it is interesting to see how the mathematical refereeing process affects the epistemic certainty of this type of mathematical knowledge by testimony. We give a description of the mathematical refereeing process and some results of empirical studies.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.