- Learning context conditions for BDI plan selection
- 9th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS'10), Toronto, Canada
- Book/source title
- AAMAS 2010: the 9th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems: May 10-14, 2010, Toronto, Canada: conference proceedings. - Volume 1
- Pages (from-to)
- Richland, SC: International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (IFAAMAS)
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
An important drawback to the popular Belief, Desire, and Intentions (BDI) paradigm is that such systems include no element of learning from experience. In particular, the so-called context conditions of plans, on which the whole model relies for plan selection, are restricted to be boolean formulas that are to be specified at design/implementation time. To address these limitations, we propose a novel BDI programming framework that, by suitably modeling context conditions as decision trees, allows agents to learn the probability of success for plans based on previous execution experiences. By using a probabilistic plan selection function, the agents can balance exploration and exploitation of their plans. We develop and empirically investigate two extreme approaches to learning the new context conditions and show that both can be advantageous in certain situations. Finally, we propose a generalization of the probabilistic plan selection function that yields a middle-ground between the two extreme approaches, and which we thus argue is the most flexible and simple approach.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.