- Semantics and pragmatics of indefinites: methodology for a synchronic and diachronic corpus study
- Bochumer Linguistische Arbeitsberichte
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Interfacultary Research Institutes
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
The article discusses the methodology adopted for a cross-linguistic synchronic and diachronic corpus study on indefinites. The study covered five indefinite expressions, each in a different language. The main goal of the study was to verify the distribution of these indefinites synchronically and to attest their historical development. The methodology we used is a form of functional labeling which combines both context (syntax) and meaning (semantics) using as a starting point Haspelmath’s (1997) functional map. In the article we identify Haspelmath’s functions with logico-semantic interpretations and propose a binary branching decision tree assigning each instance of an indefinite exactly one function in the map.
- Proceedings title: Beyond semantics: Corpus-based investigations of pragmatic and discourse phenomena: Proceedings of the
DGfS workshop, Göttingen
Publisher: Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut
Place of publication: Bochum
Editors: S. Dipper, H. Zinsmeister
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.