- DynaLearn - Engaging and informed tools for learning conceptual system knowledge
- AAAI Fall Symposium Cognitive and Metacognitive Educational Systems (MCES2009), Arlington, VI, USA
- Book/source title
- Cognitive and metacognitive educational systems
- Book/source subtitle
- papers from the AAAI fall symposium: November 5-7, 2009, at the Westin Arlington Gateway in Arlington, Virginia USA
- Pages (from-to)
- Menlo Park, California: AAAI
- AAAI Fall Symposium Series Technical Reports
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
This paper describes the DynaLearn project, which seeks to address contemporary problems in science education by integrating well established, but currently independent technological developments, and utilize the added value that emerges. Specifically, diagrammatic representations are used for learners to articulate, analyse and communicate ideas, and thereby construct their conceptual knowledge. Ontology mapping is used to find and match co-learners working on similar ideas to provide individualised and mutually benefiting learning opportunities. Virtual characters are used to make the interaction engaging and motivating. The development of the workbench is tuned to fit key topics from environmental science curricula, and evaluated and further improved in the context of existing curricula using case studies. Through this approach, the DynaLearn project will deliver an individualised and engaging cognitive tool for acquiring conceptual knowledge that fits the true nature of this expertise.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.