- Risk-neutral valuation of real estate derivatives
- Number of pages
- Rotterdam: Ortec Finance Research Center
- OFRC working paper series. Technical paper
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Working paper
- Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB)
- Amsterdam School of Economics Research Institute (ASE-RI)
Amsterdam Business School Research Institute (ABS-RI)
We propose a novel and intuitive risk-neutral valuation model for real estate derivatives. We first model the underlying efficient market price of real estate and then construct the observed index value with an adaptation of the price update rule by Blundell and Ward (1987). The resulting index behavior can easily be analyzed and closed-form pricing
solutions are derived for forwards, swaps and European put and call options. We demonstrate the application of the model by valuing a put option on a house price index. Autocorrelation in the index returns appears to have a large impact on the option value.
We also study the effect of an over- or undervalued real estate market. The observed effects are significant and as expected.