- Different forms of scaffolding, different learning outcomes
- 14th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED2009)
- Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Meeting Abstract
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Research Institute of Child Development and Education (RICDE)
The study examined the effects of dynamic scaffolding of metacognition on learning outcomes of students in primary schools. In an experimental study two experimental groups and one control group were compared. The experimental groups differed in the form of scaffolding used; structuring scaffolds vs. problematizing scaffolds. We analyzed the effects of dynamic scaffolding and of different forms of scaffolding on learning outcomes. The results showed a small effect of scaffolding on the group performance, no effects on declarative knowledge and a significant effect on procedural knowledge. With respect to the effects of different forms of scaffolding, we found significant effects on group performance, the procedural knowledge acquired and on transfer of knowledge.
- go to publisher's site
- Proceedings title: Artificial intelligence in education: building learning systems that care: from knowledge representation
to affective model
Publisher: IOS Press
Place of publication: Amsterdam
Editors: V. Dimitrova, R. Mizoguchi, B. du Boulay, A. Graesser
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.