- On the scopal interaction of negation and deontic modals
- Seventeenth Amsterdam Colloquium
- Book/source title
- Seventeenth Amsterdam Colloquium: December 16-18, 2009: pre-proceedings
- Pages (from-to)
- ILLC/Department of Philosophy, University of Amsterdam
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC)
- In this paper we argue that the different scopal relations that deontic
modal auxiliaries cross-linguistically exhibit can be explained by assuming that
(i) polarity effects arise in the domain of universal deontic modals and therefore
not in the domain of existential deontic modals; and (ii) that all deontic modals
must be interpreted VP in situ if their polarity requirements allow for that.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.