- GX 339-4 approaching quiescence?
- The astronomer's telegram
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API)
The black hole X-ray binary (BHXB) GX 339-4 continues to fade in the optical, and has now reached its faintest optical flux since (at least) the start of its 2006-7 outburst (ATels #968, #1027). In this outburst, the source reached peak magnitude values of V ~ 15 and I ~ 14. On the decline of the outburst the source twice re-brightened for several months and displayed large amplitude variability (ATels #1586, #1588, #1945, #1954, #1960, #1962). Several months ago the source finally faded below the X-ray detection limits of the RXTE ASM and PCA Bulge Scan, as well as Swift BAT.
- GX 339-4 Approaching Quiescence ?