R. van Dam
- Transition starts with people: self-organising communities ADM and Golf Residence Dronten
- Book title
- Transitions towards sustainable agriculture and food chains in peri-urban areas
- Pages (from-to)
- Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
In this chapter we explore the transition of societal organisation from heavy reliance on the
state towards self-organisation by citizens in communities. We explore how this transition
manifests itself by analysing two cases of self-organising communities in the Netherlands.
The case studies of the ADM squatter community in Amsterdam and Golf Residence in
Dronten show how these communities of self-organising citizens created their own residential arrangements and took the initiative in developing a unique spatial environment. By looking closely at these two forms of self-organising communities, we can enhance our knowledge about transitions and public management.