- Robust weighted scan matching with quadtrees
- Fourth International Workshop on Synthetic Simulation and Robotics to Mitigate Earthquake Disaster (SRMED 2009), Graz, Austria
- Book/source title
- Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Synthetic Simulation and Robotics to Mitigate Earthquake Disaster (SRMED 2009), 6th July 2009, Graz, Austria
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
This paper presents the improvement of the robustness and accuracy of the weighted scan matching algorithm matching against the union of earlier acquired scans. The approach allows to reduce the correspondence error, which is explicitly modeled in the weighted scan matching algorithm, by providing a more complete and denser frame of reference to match new scans. By making use of the efficient quadtree data structure, earlier acquired scans can be stored with millimeter accuracy for environments with dimensions larger than 100x100 meter. This can be realized with the preservation of real-time performance. In our experiments we illustrate the significant gains in robustness and accuracy that can be the result with this approach.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.