- The problem of true macroscopic charge quantization in the Coulomb blockade
- NATO advanced research workshop on electron transport in nanosystems Yalta
- Book/source title
- Electron Transport in Nanosystems
- Pages (from-to)
- Dordrecht: Springer
- ISBN (electronic)
- NATO science for peace and security series. B: Physics and biophysics: 1874-6500
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Institute for Theoretical Physics Amsterdam (ITFA)
Based on the Ambegaokar-Eckern-Schön approach to the Coulomb blockade we develop a complete quantum theory of the single electron transistor. We identify a previously unrecognized physical observable in the problem that, unlike the usual average charge on the island, is robustly quantized for any finite value of the tunneling conductance as the temperature goes to the absolute zero. This novel quantity is fundamentally related to the non-symmetrized current noise of the system. Our results display all the super universal topological features of the θ-angle concept that previously arose in the theory of the quantum Hall effect.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.