M. de Rijke
- Boosting Web Retrieval through Query Operations
- Book title
- Advances in Information Retrieval: Proceedings 27th European Conference on IR Research (ECIR 2005)
- Pages (from-to)
- Volume | Edition (Serie)
- Document type
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
- We explore the use of phrase and proximity terms in the context of web retrieval, which is different from traditional ad-hoc
retrieval both in document structure and in query characteristics. We show that for this type of task, the usage of both phrase
and proximity terms is
highly beneficial for early precision as well as for overall retrieval effectiveness. We also analyze why phrase and proximity terms are far more effective for web retrieval than for ad-hoc retrieval.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.