- Cosmological singularities in string and M-theory cosmology
- Meeting Recent Developments in Gravitation and Cosmology
- Book/source title
- Recent Developments in Gravitation and Cosmology
- Basque Country, Spain: University of the Basque Country Press
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Institute for Theoretical Physics Amsterdam (ITFA)
I discuss the point of view that non-renormalizability in General Relativity is a consequence of dealing with a low-energy effective field theory of the gravitational field, and how Einstein-Brans-Dicke gravity is retrieved from string/M-theory at low energies. After examining the role of stringy and M-theoretic symmetries in studying the physics close to cosmological singularities, I review a recent work in collaboration with A. Feinstein (hep-th/9906006) where we analyze the possible resolution of cosmological singularities in M-theory cosmology by mapping singular into regular solutions using U-duality transformations.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.