- Gilded Goddess
- The technical examination of an anonymous Italian gilt leather painting at the Mauritshuis
- ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Copenhagen
- Book/source title
- ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen, 4–8 September 2017
- Number of pages
- International Council of Museums
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School for Heritage and Memory Studies (AHM)
An anonymous painting on leather was brought to the Mauritshuis conservation studio in preparation for the In and Out of Storage exhibition. The ensuing technical examination revealed a rare example of figurative Italian gilt leather
painting. X-radiographs exposed a network of punchwork that can no longer be seen under normal viewing conditions. Examination and analysis using peptide mass fingerprinting, cross-sections, x-ray fluorescence, and scanning electron microscopy/energy-dispersive spectroscopy provided insight into its conservation history, the materials and methods of production, and shed light on its original intended format and function.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.