- The role of the judge in legal proceedings
- A pragma-dialectical analysis
- Book title
- Contextualizing pragma-dialectics
- Pages (from-to)
- Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- ISBN (electronic)
- Argumentation in context: 1877-6884
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC)
- In this contribution I characterize the role of the judge in the context of the argumentative activity of legal proceedings.
I describe the role of the judge from a pragma-dialectical perspective and explain in which way this role promotes a rational
resolution of the dispute. I specify how a critical discussion in accordance with the ideal model is implemented in legal
procedure to accomplish the institutional point, a resolution of the dispute in accordance with the Rule of Law.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.