- Optimization and Sampling for NLP from a Unified Viewpoint
- First International Workshop on Optimization Techniques for Human Language Technology
- Book/source title
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Optimization Techniques for Human Language Technology: 24th International Conference on Computational Linguistics: COLING 2012: 9 December 2012
- Pages (from-to)
- Mumbay: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
The OS* algorithm is a unified approach to exact optimization and sampling, based on incremental refinements of a functional upper bound, which combines ideas of adaptive rejection sampling and of A* optimization search. We first give a detailed description of OS*. We then explain how it can be applied to several NLP tasks, giving more details on two such applications: (i) decoding and sampling with a high-order HMM, and (ii) decoding and sampling with the intersection of a PCFG and a high-order LM.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.