- Can learning by qualitative modelling be deployed as an effective method for learning Subject-Specific Content?
- 12th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2017
- Book/source title
- Data Driven Approaches in Digital Education
- Book/source subtitle
- 12th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2017, Tallinn, Estonia, September 12–15, 2017 : proceedings
- Pages (from-to)
- Number of pages
- Cham: Springer
- ISBN (electronic)
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science: 0302-9743: 1611-3349
- Volume (Serie)
- Document type
- Conference contribution
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Informatics Institute (IVI)
Research Institute of Child Development and Education (RICDE)
Modelling can help understanding dynamic systems, but learning how to model is a difficult and time-consuming task. The challenge is to foster modelling skills, while not limiting the learning of regular subject matter, or better, to also improve this learning. We investigate how learning by qualitative modelling can be as successful as a regular classroom setting that uses an active and stimulating approach. 74 students from two high schools participated in two Biology lessons. Particularly, in the school 2 study, students in the modelling condition improved as much as students in the control group.
- go to publisher's site
- Other links
- Link to publication in Scopus
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.