- Dress and identity in the Syrian-Mesopotamian region
- The case of the women of Dura-Europos
- ARAM periodical
- Volume | Issue number
- 28 | 1-2
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Humanities (FGw)
- Amsterdam School of Historical Studies (ASH)
- In this paper elite women of Dura-Europos are studied by examining their dress. In many societies dress is used as a medium
of communication and the same holds for the ancient world. Several wall paintings on temple walls depict women and their family
members. By studiying these images, and especially their dress, I opt to increase our knowledge on the identities of Durene
elite women and their roles within their families and city.
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.