- Economía política de la educación en tiempos de austeridad: mecanismos de gestión de la crisis en la política educativa catalana
- Translated title
- The political economy of education in times of austerity: mechanism of crisis management in the Catalan education policy
- Cuadernos de Relaciones Laborales
- Volume | Issue number
- 35 | 2
- Pages (from-to)
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR)
Austerity policies have been a common response to the economic crisis of many European governments. The cuts in the social sphere have affected educational budgets and have forced states to manage the crisis with political and discursive strategies. This article develops a critical analysis on how the Spanish State and the Catalan government in particular have managed educational change in a context of economic austerity. Based on Bob Jessop’s
approach to cultural political economy and using data on the Catalan case, the article explores the mechanisms and technologies of crisis management and shows how the crisis, rather than restricting government policy action, has in fact been used as a political opportunity to build a new model of educational policy.
- go to publisher's site
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.