J.-J. van Eerten
B. de Graaf
M. de Goede
- Developing a social media response to radicalization
- The role of counter-narratives in prevention of radicalization and de-radicalization. Report for Ministry of Security and Justice
- Number of pages
- Amsterdam: Universiteit van Amsterdam
- Document type
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)
- Psychology Research Institute (PsyRes)
Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR)
In this report, the authors examine the extent to which counter-narrative initiatives via social media can be effective in preventing people from radicalization or can de-radicalize people.
Specifically, they formulate the following research questions:
(1) How can we conceptualize narratives and counter-narratives?
(2) How are narratives and counter-narratives used via social media?
(3) To what extent is it possible to use counter-narrative programs via social media to deradicalize individuals or prevent violent extremism?
(4) What are the pre-requisites for a counter-narrative program for it to be effective?
a. Which social media are most suitable and why?
b. What can we learn from examples of counter-narrative programs that have been operational in other democratic countries?
c. What can we learn from examples of social media campaigns in other domains, such as health care and environmental issues?
d. What are the potential risks for unwanted side effects?
(5) How can the potential effectiveness of such a counter-narrative program be determined?
(6) What can be the role of the government in such a counter-narrative program?
- Final publisher version
If you believe that digital publication of certain material infringes any of your rights or (privacy) interests, please let the Library know, stating your reasons. In case of a legitimate complaint, the Library will make the material inaccessible and/or remove it from the website. Please Ask the Library, or send a letter to: Library of the University of Amsterdam, Secretariat, Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, The Netherlands. You will be contacted as soon as possible.